Wednesday 14 June 2023

12 Curly Questions with author Ky Garvey

1. Tell us something hardly anyone knows about you.
Loving words runs in my family and my grandmother and I used to watch Wheel of Fortune every afternoon after school. She always told me I was good enough to go on. 'Wheel' ended before I ever got the chance to compete but I did once appear on a game show called Catch Phrase. I was able to solve all the little puzzles but kept getting stumped on the bigger puzzle and didn’t progress on to the next round. I took home a consolation prize of a designer suitcase. I now live vicariously through our weekly pub trivia and sometimes we win.

2. What is your nickname?
My real name is Kylie and my nickname is Ky. Some of my family affectionately call me Kylie Anne and friends also call me Kyles, however Ky is my favourite. My mum always called me that growing up and I am proud to use it as my author name now.

3. What is your greatest fear?
I am terrified of heights. You won’t see me taking part in any extreme sports any time soon.

4. Describe your writing style in 10 words.
I am a pantser and usually write off the cuff.

5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer.
Optimistic, inclusive, brave, determined, persistent.

6. What book character would you be, and why?
Bastian from Neverending Story. I like how he discovers his inner strength.

7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
I’d like to go back to the 1500s so I could meet Queen Elizabeth 1.

8. What would your 10-year-old self say to you now?
You did it!

9. Who is your greatest influence?
My mum! She has such a bright, happy outlook and she doesn’t let anything stop her. I aspire to be more like her every day.

10. What/who made you start writing?
I have always loved words and have always dreamt of becoming a writer. My family are all lovers of the written word and I have talented writers on both sides of the family. It’s in my blood.

11. What is your favourite word and why?
Majestic. I used this word in my very first story when I was in Grade 1. We lived in a suburb when I was a little girl where all the streets were regally named: Knight, Chivalry, Duke, Viscount. We lived near a street called Majestic and I fell in love with the word. I wrote a story called the Magic Rose and described it as Majestic. I was so proud of myself.

12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Neverending Story

Ky Garvey has two sons diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and ADHD. Her sons inspired her to write fun and engaging stories that turn challenges into triumphs in a way that is supportive, inclusive and empowering. She also writes and hosts the podcast Totally Lit! For more information, see www.ekbooks.org.


from Kids' Book Review https://ift.tt/FoSpmut

No comments:

Post a Comment