Wednesday 18 October 2023

Meet The Illustrator: Cherie Dignam

Name: Cherie Dignam

Describe your illustration style in ten words or less.
Wow, I guess I would say that it is……” lively and expressive illustrations in a simplistic wobbly line style!” (I have never tried to summarise my style in ten words or less actually).

What items are an essential part of your creative space?
Pencil and plain old copier paper.

Do you have a favourite artistic medium?
Pencil, although I love a dip pen, but my ‘go to’ tool is always a pencil.

Name three artists whose work inspires you.
Hard to pick just three but my initial choices would be Ronald Searle, Quentin Blake, Sara Ogilvie




Which artistic period would you most like to visit and why?
I would probably like to have visited the Modern Period which had Impressionists like Monet and Degas, or perhaps the Art Nouveau period, I do love Gustav Klimt.


Who or what inspired you to become an illustrator?
Initially Ronald Searle and Quentin Blake, but now I have lots of favourite illustrators, far too many to mention!!


Can you share a photo of your creative work space or part of the area where you work most often? Talk us through it.
Although I am very fortunate to have a designated art room at home I still manage to work in a very small cluttered area, I do tidy it regularly but it inevitably becomes chaotic again, that’s how I roll. I lose or misplace my pencils all the time and I have more than one favourite ‘2b’ on the go. If it gets too hot during the summer I move to my local library and use my iPad but I need my earphones as libraries can be very noisy nowadays!



What is your favourite part of the illustration process?
The initial rough process and researching characters and background settings. I love searching for objects in the library, online, even on walks in my neighbourhood.





What advice would you give to an aspiring illustrator?
Practice, Practice, Practice, be inspired by your favourite artist but don’t let their success deter you. Try not to look at too many fabulous artists as this can prevent you from even trying, so just be you and keep turning up and churning out your ideas.




Cherie Dignam has always loved drawing, nature, and all animals, especially cats. Cherie enjoys working with various mediums, including colouring pencils and watercolours. Still, she is happiest with a pencil and paper or an old-fashioned dip pen and ink. Cherie creates from her home, a short walk from the beach in sunny Perth, Australia.


For more information, please visit Cherie's website or follow her on instagram.











from Kids' Book Review https://ift.tt/2ewCrSg

No comments:

Post a Comment